There are 2 594 new cases of COVID-19 in SA, bringing the total to 50 879. Deaths increased by 82, with 26 099 people having recovered.
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Monday 8 June that South Africa’s COVID-19 caseload had increased by 2 594 since Sunday to bring the total number of cases to 50 879.
He also reported a further 82 deaths due to the virus, with 1080 people having succumbed in total.
Of the latest deaths 55 were from Western Cape, 26 from the Eastern Cape, and one from KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)
There have been 943 059 tests completed in total, with 22 995 in the last 24-hours, while 26 099 people have successfully recovered from the virus.
COVID-19 PROVINCIAL BREAKDOWN
The following confirmed COVID-19 cases have been recorded in each province as of Monday:
- Eastern Cape – 6 341 cases
- Free State – 373 cases;
- Gauteng – 6 258 cases;
- KwaZulu-Natal – 3 175 cases;
- Limpopo – 244 cases;
- Mpumalanga – 183 cases;
- North West – 580 cases;
- Northern Cape – 118 cases;
- Western Cape – 33 568 cases; and
- Unallocated – 39 cases.
On Sunday, Mpumalanga reported its first death, meaning that every province in South Africa has now recorded at least one fatality as a result of the rapidly spreading virus.
Earlier on Monday, President Cyril Ramaphosa urged South Africans not to panic when they see the number of COVID-19 infections rising significantly, saying that the models that have been drafted had predicted such an increase.
“Over the coming weeks, as we watch the coronavirus infections continue to rise, we must remember that we are not helpless,” he wrote in his weekly newsletter.
And we should remember one simple, but fundamental, message: Don’t be alarmed. Be prepared.”
WINDE PROMISES ADDED SUPPORT FOR VULNERABLE GROUPS
Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said that particular attention was being given to vulnerable groups in province – particularly those living in old age homes – as well as healthcare workers.
“People over the age of 55, and those with underlying illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, and heart and lung disorders are most at risk of becoming seriously ill or dying,” he said.
The province has currently recorded 798 deaths and 19 101 recoveries.
“The Department of Social Development in the province is providing additional support to old aged homes to help fight COVID-19. This support includes testing and screening, and specialised training in infection prevention.”
“An additional R1.755 million in funding has also been allocated to old aged homes for the fight against COVID-19. We have also made 1 500 masks available to homes across the province and provided 5 000 face shields to over 100 homes.”
“The Department has also prioritised healthcare workers, the elderly and chronic patients for the flu vaccine, to ensure that their immune systems are not further compromised by contracting the flu.”