We’re looking at comprehensive data from the Western Cape and Gauteng, to find where the biggest COVID-19 hot-spots are by district. Here are the numbers.
With talk of some parts of South Africa advancing towards an eased phase of lockdown ‘in the next few days’, the majority of the country will enter Level 3 before the end of the month.
But COVID-19 hot-spots flaring up in the middle of the Western Cape and Gauteng means that two of the biggest cities in Mzansi may remain at Level 4.
HOW MANY COVID-19 CASES HAVE BEEN REPORTED HERE?
The government is only happy to allow South African districts to progress to the next lockdown stage if they’ve got a grip on the spread of infection, and if each region can implement strict social distancing practices.
But the Western Cape and Gauteng have two of the highest case numbers in the country, accounting for more than 75% of all recorded COVID-19 patients. Here’s where the bulk of the cases are coming from:
THE WORST-AFFECTED DISTRICTS IN THE WESTERN CAPE AND GAUTENG
- COVID-19 data for the Western Cape and its districts:
- COVID-19 data for Gauteng and its districts:
WESTERN CAPE, GAUTENG COVID-19 NUMBERS
By comparison to the Western Cape, Gauteng’s outbreak seems positively mild. The south-west is proving to be the epicentre of coronavirus, with upwards of 10 000 deaths likely to be recorded by Tuesday evening:
|Number of cases so far||9 927||2 343|
|Successful recoveries||3 731||1 671|
|Average daily case increase (past week)||588||47|
|Patients receiving care in ICU||111||25-30|
|Percentage of national cases||61%||14.2%|
HOT-SPOTS IN THE WESTERN CAPE
The worst-affected districts and regions in the Western Cape are overwhelmingly located in the City of Cape Town. All of the top eight hot-spots are within the metro’s territory.
Five sub-regions have surpassed the 1 000-case mark, as Tygerberg, Khayelitsha and Klipfontein stand-out as the worst-hit places in the province:
- Tygerberg, City of Cape Town: 1 597
- Khayelitsha, City of Cape Town: 1 345
- Klipfontein, City of Cape Town: 1 195
- Western, City of Cape Town: 1 059
- Southern, City of Cape Town: 1 020
- Mitchels Plain, City of Cape Town: 965
- Eastern, City of Cape Town 934
- Northern, City of Cape Town: 648
- Witzenberg, Cape Winelands: 205
- Drakenstein, Cape Winelands: 134
HOT-SPOTS IN GAUTENG
The data collection from Gauteng is grouped by sub-region. The figures are much lower than what we’ve seen from the Western Cape – which is why Premier David Makhura is certain his province will move into Level 3 of lockdown imminently – but people in these areas should really keep themselves alert:
- Johannesburg E region: 297 cases across Alexandra, Wynberg, Sandton, Orange Grove, Houghton.
- Ekurhuleni North region: 283 cases across Kempton Park, Edenvale, Thembisa, Bapsfontein.
- Johannesburg B region: 181 cases across Rosebank, Emmarentia, Greenside, Melville, Mayfair, Northcliff, Parktown, Parktown North.